Welcome to Bolton le Sands, Carnforth
Bolton-le-Sands is a large village and civil parish of the City of Lancaster in Lancashire with a population of over 4,000 residents. Referred to as Bodeltone in the Domesday book, the village was known as Bolton until the arrival of the railways, when the name was changed to Bolton le Sands to differentiate from similarly named towns on the same line, such as Bolton which was then a part of Lancashire and called Bolton-le-Moors. The oldest church in the village, founded prior to 1094, is the Church of England Holy Trinity church, originally dedicated to St Michael. The oldest part of the current building is the tower, supposed to have been built around 1500. The nave and chancel date from the 19th century. The other churches are the Roman Catholic St Mary of the Angels and the Christ Church United Reformed Church. The Lancaster Canal, built in the 1790s, is a major feature of the village. Also passing through the village is the A6 and the West Coast Main Line, although the railway station closed in 1969. The Village includes three pubs: The Royal Hotel, situated on the A6, The Packet Boat, and the Blue Anchor are both within the centre of the village, along the main street.
The village has one school, Bolton-le-Sands Church of England Primary School, with around 300 pupils from the ages of 4 to 11 in a modern school building. The school is a successor to the old Boys’ Free Grammar School, which dates from 1657, with the 19th century school building still used for community education. The school building was also home to the Bolton-le-Sands library until 1973, when the library was moved into a newly built site in the village centre. The village has a very active scout group that meets in the scout hut on the village playing fields. It has three sections Beavers, Cubs and Scouts. Bolton-le-Sands is one of the hidden secrets in Lancashire, a pretty village that is unspoilt by both modern development and tourism. There is no wonder that it is a favourite for people from Lancaster and the surrounding areas; within easy reach the major cities of the North West of England while boasting a host of local attractions you will always have somewhere to explore and enjoy at this village.